Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Winston Churchill War Rooms

From my hazy memories from high school history class the name Winston Churchill is a name that my generation should at least know or heard about. Who knows, I feel that my generation got the short stick of several things so our minds are all over the place.

Anyways, during a moment in my internship I was able to review some history of this great leader.

I wasn't given a full blown class about Winston, just enough to give my memory a little shake, and to solidify what I remembered/learned about Mr. Churchill I'm just going to talk briefly about him.




Mr. Churchill was born in 1857 and died in 1965. A Prime Minister, a writer, historian, British Army Officer, and an artist. Of course I need to mention that he and the United Kingdom played a large part in WWII, if I didn't mention that what was the point of my history class? Anyways, during my trek through the authentic and remade war rooms with my handy dandy audio tour guide I was able to get a small understanding of the atmosphere that was in the war rooms.

The difficult decisions.
The Different colored phones.
A room that was a telephone room, but people thought was the only working toilet.

Yeah. It was an actual telephone room.


Also I was able to touch history again, although majority of the rooms were blocked off by plastic the structure remained the same. So the concrete walls, wood and steel structure was still there, so of course I touched it and used hand sanitizer right after. Luckily there were no smells this time.


There is one thing that I feel that I need to mention, there is nothing similar to this in the United States. Don't get take me the wrong way but majority of our museums are not free ( this wasn't free, but majority of the museums in England are free) and  history regarding WWI & WWII are more focused on the tragedies of the lives lost (which I understand, there was a lot of death on the Allied side, about 61 million deaths, and also to remind the world not to do something like this again) instead of the lifestyles and atmosphere. Maybe that's what history class is supposed to be for, but that is pretty shoddy if you ask me. Until you get to college and take a course specific to the subject you're going to miss the finer details.

Maybe the United States have something similar to this but not in my region? I wouldn't be too surprised Milwaukee is just Milwaukee.

Anyways rant over.

Being able to easily view a country's national history makes me want to dive deeper into British  history and culture. There's tons of it, and being in London makes it a lot easier to do that. I am also excited to add British culture an history to my knowledge of cultures and history.

 I wonder where my internship will take me next.

No comments:

Post a Comment