Sunday, July 14, 2013

Farm Animals and being stubborn.

This past week a lot has happened. My ear refuses to clear itself despite the liquid and sudafed that I take, had midterm meeting with my boss and director of the program I'm on, went to a midterm party, went to a farm, and stood in line for three hours for something I wasn't even going to. It's been a long tiresome week but like I mentioned in my last post I now have exactly three weeks until my return to the United States.

Bring it!
 About my ear, I swear I've been more sick here than I've ever been in United States, my ear seemed to become clogged after popping painfully. Thinking it would clear the next day, it didn't so I quickly ran to a chemist and told them what had happened and they suggested that I take sudafed to help clear up and congestion ( I also had a cold the week before so the congestion could have come from that) after a few days of taking that I felt the same and my ear wouldn't clear up. One of the teachers at the school suggested using hydrogen peroxide to get rid of wax and anything else that shouldn't be there (she's a nutritionist by the way ) so for the past week I've been trying the sudafed and the hydrogen peroxide. (Still not too much of a change...sigh )
Speaking about the midterm meeting with my boss and the director of the program, it was just a check in to see if I am doing what she and my boss had talked about. Which I also mentioned to her that I wasn't doing any marketing stuff by the third week in June, she quickly talked to my boss and that's how this came about: Children's plague & more disciplined internship. 

Now in terms of the farm, that was apart of a trip for the children. You would think I would be used to farms and things as such because I live in Wisconsin. I live in the city away from farm animals, the teachers thought I was afraid of the animals, but I'm not...just hesitant...because of germs. Growing up my mum has been obsessed with killing germs, so being on the farm put me in avoidance mode.











Anyways farm animals and children are not my cup of tea. Also I got to see an Alpaca...I was more worried about it spitting at me...and the children of course, but she only spits at the sheep when they eat her food.

Charming.

Also during this trip I almost had my hand eaten by a fairly large cow, because one of the children was too scared to give it food so I did it for them. All I have to say is never again will I feed a cow.

The last thing I want to mention is the waiting in line for three hours, that was for one of the most appealing places in London, the Sherlock Holmes Museum. My heart pounded as I stood in front of the place where the fictional character of Sherlock Holmes lived, and of course there was a crazy long line. Unfortunately for me my task of the day was to wait in line for the teenage class groups to arrive, so I wasn't able to go in. My heart hurt when i finally finished my task after waiting in line for three hours and I had to leave. Although I wasn't waiting by myself in line (at least for 45 minutes) I could have had the other intern wait in line to go do whatever, but I was stubborn and I wanted to make sure that everything went as it was planed. Thus I waited in line for three hours.

When I finally returned back to the office location, my boss immediately said I looked terrible and was shocked that I stood in line for the entire time. She then began to chide me, saying I was too nice and I needed to learn how to say no (basically work on my communication skills, which is true I do). I didn't have a problem doing this all by myself, to myself I think the new intern is more of a hassle to do things with because his English is not that great so I find myself repeating myself using different words at least three times. So I felt that there was no miscommunication or need for communication with the intern, I just felt that he would mess up something, which I know is rude but that is how I feel.

Maybe I'm not being lenient enough or trusting enough? I also had this problem when I was in AIESEC, delegating things and not doing them all by myself.

Something else to mend.






No comments:

Post a Comment