Sunday, July 7, 2013

Ragged School Museum

Picture from: victorianschool.co.uk
This entire week I've been doing more office work, which is what I am supposed to be doing. It is also when I figured that
my actual internship would begin as well. When I first arrived I quickly learned that my work site was understaffed and needed help as much as possible. Mind you I didn't know I was going to be surrounded by children I despise them, but I sucked it up and provided as much assistance as I could for the next three to four weeks after my arrival.


Mentioned in the post: The Children's Plague and a more disciplined Internship I have started doing more of my actual internship which is marketing. Marketing is a new thing for me seeing as my major deals with languages and culture, so believe me there is a lot of side research. Because I've started doing my research I haven't been able to go on any new trips except for one.
Picture from Victorianweb.org

The Ragged School Museum. Of course I had no clue that this place existed or the history behind it, and I actually wasn't supposed to go on this trip. I got lucky~

During this trip I didn't participate in the activity I was more of a chaperone to the group, so I had a little down time to search for lunch which didn't happen.

After doing some research via the Ragged School's website:

This school was one of three free schools in London during 1867, during the Victorian era. The fellow that opened this school, Thomas Barnado, came from Dublin intending to complete his medical studies, but instead he dropped and instead opened a school for the ones unable to afford education. The school continued to remain open until the early 1900s when government schools were in operation.
Picture from all-about-london.com

Now I mentioned I didn't participate in the activity, but I was told that the children were able to get a feel of how the classroom was in the Victorian age. With my little knowledge of the Victorian age I think it would have been severely strict or close to it. Also in that age children were supposed to be seen and not heard, and sometimes both so imagining what the classroom would have been like in that time period is crazy, but also thinking about how the classrooms are today is also crazy and unfortunate.


As a side note I have less than a month left in London and so far I've learned about the Monarch, War, Marketing, and historical sites! Now I just need to keep my motivation up to continue blogging I am behind~

No comments:

Post a Comment